Can Botox Treat Acne Scars?

02/25/2020

Can Botox Work on Acne Scars?

Having acne on your face can be troublesome. However, what’s even more troubling is the parting gift it leaves behind once it goes away — acne scars. Unlike hyperpigmentation or discoloration patches, acne scarring permanently alters the skin texture, causing dent-like blemishes in places where the spots used to be. For people who are battling these stubborn acne scars, Botox can prove to be an effective treatment.

While Botox is generally known for removing fine lines and facial wrinkles, it is also an efficient method for clearing acne scars. It relaxes the affected area and helps limit stress on the scar tissue, which further results in less visibility of the scars. Botox is commonly administered alongside fillers to fill the scars and improve the skin’s appearance.

How Does Botox Work on Acne Scars?

Popping or disturbing active acne causes inflamed blemishes. When the muscles surrounding these inflamed wounds are stretched or pulled, it leads to acne scarring. Botox temporarily eases the tensed facial muscles and lessens the strain on the wound, thereby reducing the appearance of the scars. Since there is a loss of collagen (a protein that reduces wrinkles and improves skin hydration), a common possibility is that the scar may still remain visible. To resolve this issue, doctors inject dermal fillers made up of collagen or hyaluronic acid to fill the scars completely.

Does Bellafill Work on Acne Scars?

As of now, Bellafill is considered to be the best filler by experts to treat acne scars. Also, it is the only FDA-approved dermal filler in the USA that is specifically designed to correct all types of indented acne scars, from moderate to severe. The gel used in Bellafill contains 80% collagen which helps reduce the scars. The remaining 20% is polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) which propels the body to produce more protein, facilitating faster healing.

Botox is also used by dermatologists to prevent excessive oil from accumulating in the skin pores, which is the primary reason for acne outbreaks.

Remember, Botox is not a miracle cure for acne scarring. Despite being easy, safe, and cost-effective, the procedure needs to be repeated periodically — usually after every three to six months — to maintain the look of the skin. This is because the effect of Botox wears off and the content of the filler metabolizes over time, resulting in the reappearance of scars.

When it comes to choosing the right Botox treatment, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Although most treatments reduce the size and visibility of acne scars, the overall results still greatly depend on the severity of the problem as well as on the knowledge and skill of the doctor performing the procedure.

Any adult with acne scars can go for a Botox treatment. However, you need to thoroughly consult a specialist to see which type of filler is more suitable for your problem.

Wondering if Botox is right for you? Schedule a consultation today with our Master Injector, Debbie Boyte, to have all your concerns addressed and resolved. Feel free to call us at Beauti Science Med Spa at 214-280-4316.